I am feeling very Ill at the moment and can’t really get myself out of bed but I have to commit to the work I accepted.
Cross Discipline 1
(Creating the Banner)
So, firstly, one thing I regret is underestimating the time that this would take to make. I didn’t take into consideration the fact that the director would be indecisive. It was my fault partially for not asking them to fill out a form on what was expected of me and exactly what they wanted.
Pictured above, was the placeholder created by a team member. The leader asked for a banner similar to this with a little more polish.
Firstly I created something that would suit the colour scheme of the dark horse chess piece. However, the team member I was talking to asked to have the pieces all black and to have the banner resized to be able to stretch even in mobile versions.
However, afterwards the director said he didn’t like the designs at all and asked that I start again. He couldn’t explain to me what he didn’t like about it which made the process take even longer. The team member that did the mockup then explained that they were all big fans of Andy Warhol’s style and requested something like his soup can work.
So I used this as a reference with the approval of the team members. They also requested I use a similar font to the Campbell’s soup font and so after searching on dafont, I found a similar font and got the approval from the director.
This was the first preview image I created. However, the director then said to not use any maroon shades.
I took each iteration to the director and got his approval for each one because he was very particular about what the colours were allowed.
After I finished them, I suggested that the icon be made monochromatic because of the term “dark horse” being someone who breaks expectations. They all agreed that it was a good idea so I went through with the idea.
After seeing this, the director requested the font be placed on the banner. Sticking to the Warhol theme of reproducing the same work over and over, I created this iteration.
The director requested for the font to be singular and bigger.
By this point I was already getting exhausted with the amount of last minute changes. After I sent this, the director commented on the font “looking terrible” and that I shouldn’t have chosen it despite asking for it.
This new font got a lukewarm response but the team agreed that it was a better iteration but the director said he “didn’t love it”. He requested for the font to be pitch black and sharper. I had to step in because having the font be pitch black would make it harder to see with the dark tones on the horses.
Pictured above was the reference for the newly requested font.
So he requested that the horses be blurred and faded to show the font clearly. After this he changed his mind about the profile and asked for a rainbow background on the dark horse icon.
He then said that this was only meant to be another place holder because he had another graphic designer working on a replacement banner as I made it.
What I learned
-I learned to be clear about the amount of work I was willing to do
-I learned from other graphic design students that I should create a form for clients to fill out in order to find out exactly what is needed.
What can be improved
-To be honest, I didn’t appreciate the fact my work felt so insignificant considering it was replaced within one week. What I need to improve is not being attached to my work so much. However, I think I would feel different if this were a paid job.
-I feel that I need to do a better job of convincing clients to accept certain decisions and eliminate any chance of indecisiveness.
I added a small house and more cedar trees in the background. I also modified the sky dome to have more of a horizon. I also made a separate material for the black trees in the background to create more depth.
i’ve also finally gotten around to inking and creating the in between frames for the lipsync.
^ The first linguistics textbook from my bachelor of linguistics. This doesn’t necessarily help for creating lipsyncs but it was helpful for explaining how voice sounds are made.
^ For basic lip positions.
Rapid production: 35
Cross Disc: 5